Tuesday 28 January 2020

Albany to Denmark

The path out of Albany is a a combination of back streets and a wide shared path following Carlisle St.  There's also a sandy track running parallel to sections of the shared path which I took for  abit of practice on the rougher stuff - with celebratory calls of "Fat Bike" every time is made it down a slippery bit.
The route is clearly marked with yellow sign posts with a blue triangular Munda Biddi logo, but of course cruising around the shared paths I missed one or two and found some interesting detours, like the Limeburners Distillery on Frenchmans Bay Road.
Somewhere to come back to.

Looking back over Princess Royal Harbour to Albany. 

Once out of town the trail goes through the horse country of Robinson and a bridal trail.  Its quiet undulating road, then you hit the road linking Albany and Denmark.   There's an off road track follwoing Lower Denmark Road so there's no mixing with the trucks. 
Riding in high summer is tough going.  At the Elleker general store I found a shady spot and I guzzled a 2 litre bottle of sports drink in one gulp.
The path follows unsealed farm access roads, former rail reserves and occasionally narrow tracks through bushland.   There's a lot of 'up a hill to go down a hill',  but the views from the top are amazing.
By the time I reached Talyors Siding I was knackered.  I had a late start, I was riding hard on a new bike and the first day of any long ride is the time when your body is adjusting.  As the sun was setting I found a bit of bush on the side of the road and called it a night.
In the morning, a few kilometres down the road I found what would have been the perfect camp site on the Hay River.  Again,  this is a reckkie run, and I'll remember that for next time.  
Although If I had left Albany on time I'm confident I could have reached Denmark by the end of the first day's riding.  I guess its all about how much time you want to spend exploring the detours.

The road into Denmark folwlows the Denmark - Nornalup rail trail and has spectactular views of Wilson Inlet.  Being a rail trail its also much easier riding.   I rolled into Denmark around 10am and chilled and organised a catch up with Andrea an old friend recently moved from Perth.  
A chance to wash,  Oh joy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment